History and Operations
Toby, Henrietta, and Bertie take the quarrymen to and from the quarry, but unfortunately Bertie can only go up to the quarry gates and the two had a hard time transporting the workmen. The problem was solved after Sir Topham Hatt renovated an old coach called Victoria and joined her with Henrietta and Toby.
There are four passenger trains a day from Ffarquhar for workers at the quarry and freight trains run when required. There is only a platform and waiting shelter at the quarry. The stone is used widely on Sodor and on the mainland for buildings because of its hardness.
As well as mining quarry rock, there is a section of the quarry which mines slate.
In Calling All Engines!, Edward had to sleep here until Tidmouth Sheds was rebuilt.
Toby, the only engine owned by the North Western Railway allowed on the line lawfully because of his cowcatchers and sideplates, brings the workers to the quarry, takes stone back to Ffarquhar, and will help Mavis with shunting when he is not busy. Percy has been known to go there on rare occasions. However, in later seasons, other engines appear to work here frequently, despite not having any sideplates or cowcatchers.
- A magazine fact file says that the Sodor Slate Quarry is owned by the Ffarquhar Quarry Company.
- In the eighteenth season episode, Thomas the Quarry Engine, a clock was added above the two-road engine shed.
- In the fifth season, Anopha Quarry shared the same set as the Sodor China Clay Company.
- In the television series, Sir Topham Hatt is in charge of the Ffarquhar Quarry.
- Take-n-Play (spiral tracks with Diesel)