Daisy is a diesel rail-car who originally worked on Thomas' Branch Line following her arrival after the events of Thomas Comes to Breakfast. She now works on the Harwick Branch Line carrying out passenger duties on the line, while Ryan runs goods.
After Thomas was sent to the Works to have his bufferbeam repaired in 1960, Daisy was loaned from B.R. to do his work. Daisy was nasty to Henrietta, Annie, and Clarabel, refused to sleep in the Ffarquhar engine sheds on the grounds that it was "smelly", and blatantly refused to pull freight because it was "bad for her swerves". Daisy later called Toby cowardly for having sideplates and cowcatchers and claimed that one only needed to "toot and look them in the eye" to shoo animals away. This, of course, was proven false when Daisy tried to shoo an inquisitive bull named Champion. The Fat Controller discovered that Daisy was lazing about, but gave her a second chance after Daisy helped clear up the mess made when Percy crashed into a train of stone. Daisy promised to change her ways.
Daisy was introduced in the second season in the same way as the Railway Series. After confronted by The Fat Controller, Daisy had a change of attitude. However, ironically, Daisy regained her original sense later in the fourth season when she ignored Toby's advise about bulls. Daisy has also been seen on the other railway as a unfamiliar diesel. In Calling All Engines! she was one of the diesels who joined the meeting at the coaling plant, and later helped Toby take workmen to repair the Sodor Suspension Bridge.
She now runs on the Harwick Branch Line with Ryan, managing the passenger trains while he handles the goods.
Daisy is a diesel rail-car, who has been known to consider herself "highly sprung, and right up to date!" She was brought to help run passenger services on Thomas' branch line, while Thomas was "indisposed" after running into the stationmaster's house. She can be hard to please, most indignant, and highly opinionated. She is confident in herself and can sometimes boast of her abilities in particular situations, unconcerned, despite having never actually been in such a position before. She will sometimes presume she can show other engines a thing or two, despite knowing little on the matter, until she actually learns for herself.
After arriving on Sodor, Daisy insisted that she required delicate handling and considered pulling trucks and vans to be below her. She was very lazy and stubborn, but the Fat Controller spoke severely to her, telling her that his engines must work hard and that he sends lazy engines away. However, working hard after Percy got himself into a predicament, the Fat Controller felt she deserved another chance. Daisy is now good friends with the other engines on Thomas's branch line, tries to work much harder to be a useful engine, and is better capable of handling things alone. Daisy is also described as a self-obsessed diesel diva.
Daisy is a BR/Metro-Cammell DMU Class 101/102. She is, however, a single rail-car instead of the traditional two-piece unit.
In the Railway Series, Daisy is painted Brunswick green with yellow lining with the 'Cycling Lion' British Railways crest, similar to the livery of the British Railways DMUs in the 1960s. In the television series she is painted a much lighter green. She wears makeup, including eyelashes, red lipstick, blush, and blue eyeshadow.
In the Railway Series, Daisy's face is the same colour as her livery; in the television series, it is light grey.
- Season 19 - Thomas the Babysitter (cameo)
- Season 20 - Ryan and Daisy, The Way She Does It, The Railcar and the Coaches and The Missing Breakdown Train
- Teresa Gallagher (UK/US; Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure and The Great Race only)
- Tracy-Ann Oberman (UK/US; twentieth season onwards)
- Keiko Nemoto (Japan; Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure onwards)
- Agnieszka Kunikowska (Poland; Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure onwards)
- Romina Marroquín Payró (Latin America; Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure only)
- Nadine Schreier (Germany; Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure onwards)
- Daisy was the first female engine introduced to the series.
- Occasionally, Daisy used BoCo's chasis in the television series.
- Daisy's horn is Diesel's at a higher pitch.
- BoCo and Daisy shared mostly the same face masks, with Daisy's having makeup added on.
- Some of the stories involving Daisy reflect problems that were faced by railway staff when it came to dealing with "highly sprung" diesel engines in the earlier phases of Dieselization.
- Daisy was the only character from Seasons 1-3 who was not featured on Shining Time Station, although she did appear in Mr. Conductor's Thomas Tales.
- Her Take Along model's prototype, incorrectly depicts her as a Co-Bo, as do most illustrations.
- When Daisy returned in full CGI, she had some modifications. These include:
- One of her brake pipes was removed and the other now faces upwards.
- The axleboxes on her chassis are modified more like her real life counterpart.
- Raised front bufferbeam; thus making a little space between her face and bufferbeam much like Diesel 10.
- Her front windows became larger and have frames, just like her side windows.
- Smaller headlamp.
- Handrails have changed from gold to grey.
- A smaller face.
- Face makeup toned down.
- A three-link coupling whereas her model had a screw-coupling.
- A lip or cantrail gutter above the yellow lining above her windows.
- Will You Won't You (performed)
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (two versions; discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- My First Thomas
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- De Agostini (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Daisy|
|Bill and Ben • Harvey • Emily • Arthur • Murdoch • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Timothy • Marion • Glynn • Ryan • Skiff • Diesel • Mavis • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Flynn • Winston • Stafford •|