|This article is about the video game. You may be looking for the special, the app, the book or the DVD boxset.|
Hero of the Rails is a video game released on Nintendo DS and Wii in Europe and Oceania on August 20th, 2010. It is based on the special with the same name. It features eight activities including racing, welding, cleaning, fixing Hiro, painting, and shunting.
It contains a navigational voice-over to narrate the story and to guide you through the game and provides clips from the film.
It was developed by Silverball Studios and published by Barnstorm Games in Europe and Oceania. In North America, it was to be published by Majesco Entertainment, but has not yet been released. It has appeared to be postponed for unknown reasons, so it is currently unknown if the North American version will ever be resurrected, completed and released sometime in the future, though given that the Wii and DS consoles have been superseded by the Wii U and 3DS, respectively, it seems very unlikely.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Duke and Duchess of Boxford
- Victor (possibly playable in a prototype build)
- Harold (possibly playable in a prototype build)
- Kevin (possibly playable in a prototype build)
- Cranky (possibly playable in a prototype build)
- Rosie (in snap game; possibly playable in a prototype build)
- Billy (prototype only)
- Stanley (prototype only)
- Annie and Clarabel (menu only)
- Sodor Steamworks
- Knapford Yards
- Great Waterton
- Black Loch
- McColl Farm
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Brendam Docks
- Spencer Arrives - Spencer arrives on Sodor and challenges Thomas to a race.
- Thomas Helps Hiro - The player must place a cylinder on Hiro. After that Percy helps Thomas with his deliveries. Percy breaks down and Thomas takes him to the Steamworks where you must sort parts.
- The Fat Controller - The player must race Percy to Hiro and put the new part on him. After that, the player must help Emily shunt trucks. Then the player plays a game of snap.
- Spencer Looks for Clues - The player must paint Spencer and help him find clues. Then there's a game of memory. When Spencer finds James and Toby, the player uses James to chase Spencer away.
- Last Part for Hiro - The player plays a game of snap. Then, the player helps Hiro to test himself by puffing around the Island. At this time, Spencer finds Thomas and Hiro. Luckily, Gordon puffs up and challenges Spencer to a race.
- Spencer in Trouble - Thomas is chuffing to Hiro's siding and Spencer catches him. They then race to Knapford and Spencer falls into the mud.
- Hiro Gets Fixed - Thomas must sort parts and repair Hiro. Then Hiro goes to rescue and clean Spencer.
- Thomas Says Bye - Hiro has a last ride around Sodor and Thomas gets a new coat of paint before the party.
- There are buffers on the third track at Brendam Docks.
- Spencer's wheels are black.
- In the DS game, Hiro's buffers are square and his nameplate appears on both sides of his smoke deflectors.
- Sometimes an engine's wheels aren't on the tracks when going around the bends. This is because the tracks are not models, but part of the backdrops, plus the wheels on the tender engines do not turn correctly.
- In the Wii game, when the engines agree with Thomas to help Hiro, Mavis' horn can be heard, but she is nowhere to be seen.
- In two levels, Spencer and Hiro are missing their tenders.