Peter Sam, named after the Skarloey Railway's previous controller, Mr. Peter Sam - previously Stuart, after his designer, Kerr Stuart - is a narrow gauge saddletank engine who lives and works on the Skarloey Railway.
Peter Sam has always been a cheery little engine. In the sixth season, his whistle snapped right off when a tree branch had caught it. He also helped the Refreshment Lady find a place to put her new tea shop. Peter Sam once had to deliver a new winch for the incline at night, but got lost trying to find the magic lamp from the legendary engine, Proteus. In result, Harold helped him find his way home by shining down his light.
Peter Sam was once put in charge of the Skarloey Railway while Mr. Percival was away, but ran out of coal. In result, Victor came and brought him coal, and fixed Skarloey, Sir Handel, and Duncan afterwards. He is currently working on the Skarloey Railway, and at the Blue Mountain Quarry, with the other narrow gauge engines.
Peter Sam, named Stuart in his younger days while being brought up under the instruction of Duke, is highly enthusiastic, eager, and bubbly. He can be occasionally cheeky, teasing, and a little cocky, but is kind-hearted, well-meaning, and good mannered. He can also be prone to being a little naïve at times and perhaps take things a little too literally. Peter Sam has a special funnel which makes puffing much easier, after his old one was damaged in a nasty accident with some trucks that broke free from the incline. With an infectious attitude and high spirits, Peter Sam is almost kind and hard-working to a fault, seldom grumbling about late hours or extra work. He is always nice to the coaches and even the trucks.
Peter Sam is based on the Talyllyn Railway's Edward Thomas, a Kerr Stuart Tattoo 0-4-2ST. Interestingly, Edward Thomas only donned the Giesl ejector funnel for a limited time, while Peter Sam has used his since its introduction.
In the Railway Series, Peter Sam was painted dark green while working on the Mid Sodor Railway. After arriving on the Skarloey Railway, he was repainted in the Skarloey Railway's red livery with blue-and-yellow lining.
In the television series, Peter Sam has always been painted dark green with red and gold lining.
In The Thomas Way DVD, the Mr. Perkins segment features a re-illustrated version of Trucks!. In this, Peter Sam is painted dark green, like in the television series.
- Steven Kynman (UK/US; sixteenth season onwards)
- Hiroo Sasaki (Japan; sixteenth season onwards)
- Peter Sam is named after former Skarloey Railway controller Mr. Peter Sam.
- Peter Sam has undergone numerous modifications through the television series, including:
- Season 16:
- His square funnel was altered to an accurate Giesl Ejector.
- His footplate and sandboxes were painted black.
- The lower round window on the back of his cab was replaced with two small door, just like his basis.
- A handrail was added across the top of his smokebox.
- His regular one valve whistle was updated to a two valve whistle just like his real counterpart. It also budged up and down until the seventeenth season.
- His cutout windows gained brass frames and contained glass.
- Sanding gear was added.
- His green livery became more vibrant than it was in the ninth season.
- Season 17:
- Peter Sam gained a permanent lamp and lamp irons.
- Season 16:
- Will You Won't You (performed)
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (talking and interactive)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up (two versions; Japan only)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Departing Now (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Departing Now
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan|
|Mighty Mac • Freddie • Luke • Proteus|
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found