Sir Topham Hatt has an office where he usually works in when he is not busy talking to the engines or planning events, located in Knapford Station. This is also where he receives messages from the stationmaster and other people about his engines whenever they are in trouble or need to talk to him. It was first introduced in the first season and has been seen since. It also appeared in the PC games.
In the Railway Series, the office is located at Tidmouth Station, although another one was seen at Vicarstown in Gordon the Big Engine.
In the nineteenth season, the office was being redecorated, though Percy accidentally thought this meant Sir Topham Hatt was leaving the railway.
Once, Sailor John broke into the office and used a stick of dynamite to open the safe and steal a box of treasure.
- Throughout the series, there have been portraits of several engines in the office:
- In Duck Takes Charge, a picture resembling a LMS locomotive is seen.
- A portrait of Duke was seen in the fourth season.
- Portraits of James, Henry, and Thomas from Time for Trouble, Tender Engines, and Thomas, Percy and Old Slowcoach, respectively, were seen in Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- Since the CGI Series, a portrait of James from James Goes Too Far is seen, though his face is missing.
- In the fourteenth season, a photo of Henry from Toby's Afternoon Off was seen, though his face was missing.
- In Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure, a portrait of Emily from Emily's New Route was seen, without her face.
- In the nineteenth season, a portrait of an engine resembling Ferdinand can be seen.
- Portraits of Lady Hatt and Dowager Hatt have also been seen.
- The office has changed a lot during the television series. In the first season, it appeared almost identical to the Railway Series. In the fifth season, it gained more furniture and the desk is repositioned. It changed dramatically in the CGI series with the walls changing colour from brown to grey, different windows and less furniture.