The Sodor Steamworks, introduced in Hero of the Rails, is a large repair yard that specialises in steam engines. It is situated along the main line at Crovan's Gate. The Steamworks is accessible and used by the steam engines on both the North Western and Skarloey Railways. All of the essential components for steam locomotives are kept and made at the Steamworks. Heavy overhauls are also carried out here. Victorand Kevin both live and work here at the Sodor Steamworks.
The company's logo consists of a chimney with steam coming out and is surrounded by a large cog wheel. Victor, Kevin, numerous rolling stock, vehicles and staff uniforms, all acquire this logo on their livery and appearance.
Equipment at the Steamworks includes:
- Transfer Table with dual gauge tracks.
- Forge with a steam hammer.
- Boiler Shop
- Machinery Area with Lathes.
- Painting Area
- Hot-Air Blowers
- Locomotive Hoist
- Inspection Pit
- Assembly Area with standard gauge and narrow gauge railway lines.
- Storage Shed outside the Steamworks for Kevin and Victor to sleep at night.
- Coal hopper on the side of the building.
- Whilst the feature-length special Hero of the Rails was being developed, David Eves came up with the creation of the Sodor Steamworks as one of his last contributions. The idea was luckily accepted by the writers and the new animators.
- Although it is titled the Sodor Steamworks, diesel engines have been repaired there before.
- The Skarloey Railway connects with the Steamworks.
- The "Sodor Steamworks" has gone through several changes throughout the years. These include:
- Season 13:
- Season 15:
- A coal hopper with Henry's "special coal" was placed here.
- King of the Railway:
- The area around the transfer table returned to it's original grey colour.
- It was confirmed that Henry didn't need "special coal" anymore so it may just be a normal coal hopper.
- Season 18:
- Barriers were placed at each berth of the Steamworks.
- In the latter half of the season, the buffers near the turntable have been removed.
- The narrow-gauge track has been re-positioned by a few feet.
- The turntable gains a second track, running perpendicular to the original (though this may have been planned in Season 15 based on early storyboard artwork).
- Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure:
- The buffers can be seen with no track leading to them.
- Take-n-Play (two versions)
- Wooden Railway (reintroduced 2014)
- Wind-up Trains
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)