Spencer is a sleek, streamlined engine privately owned by the Duke and Duchess of Boxford.
During his first visit to Sodor, Spencer took the Duke and Duchess of Boxford on a trip around Sodor. He ignored Gordon's warnings about taking on water and thus ran out; however, he blamed the incident on a leaky tank.
Upon his next visit, Spencer challenged Edward to a race and maintained a lead for the majority of the race, but vainly fell asleep while the Duke and Duchess stopped to take photos and lost to Edward, after Edward got onto the summer house branch first.
Spencer has since developed a rivalry with Thomas, with the latter often trying to outshine Spencer - largely without success.
Spencer returned to Sodor to help build the new summer house for the Duke and Duchess of Boxford, much to the annoyance of all the engines. First, he insulted the other steam engines - especially Thomas by calling him a "toy tank engine", which as a result they had a competition of strength. However, Spencer neglected to build the new summer house when he became suspicious about Thomas, thinking he was being a tricky tank engine and ended up getting slate down his funnel at Anopha Quarry. When Spencer discovered Percy's mail coaches (thinking that Thomas was hiding them from Percy), he got into trouble with the Fat Controller, who thought that Spencer was hiding the mail coaches all the time. Afterwards, Spencer lost his pride when his owners turned up for their holiday. He then got stuck in the mud when he chased Thomas to Knapford. After being rescued by Hiro, Spencer apologises to Thomas and Hiro and they all work to finish the summer house.
Sir Robert Norramby borrowed Spencer as his private engine during the restoration of Ulfstead Castle. He transported the Earl around, and, much to his embarrassment, had to pull some stones for the job. During that time, he attempted to have races with Gordon, but when the two met Connor and Caitlin during one of their runs, they called off the race. After the restoration was complete, Connor, Caitlin, Gordon and Spencer had another race from Ulfstead's grounds.
Spencer brought a VIP from the Mainland to present the Fat Controller with an award. Due to showing off, he ended up on Edward's Branch Line. Once he finally arrived at Knapford, the Deputy Minister crossly announced that he would not travel back to the mainland with Spencer. Throughout the day, as the other engines were showing off, Spencer felt sorry for himself and wished he had done his work properly. He learned from his mistake and successfully brought the Deputy Minister back to Sodor the following day.
One day, Spencer was travelling through Henry's Tunnel and almost ran into Thomas, who was hiding in the tunnel pretending to be a made-up engine called Geoffrey, to trick the Fat Controller. At winter, he had to stay on Sodor because the Vicarstown Bridge was blocked with snow. He teased Henry by telling him he might see an abominable snowman. But when the two engines saw something covered in snow walking towards them, Spencer tried to run away, but his valves blocked. Luckily, it was only the Fat Controller, who had gotten into trouble in the snow.
Spencer would then go on to participate in The Great Railway Show where he serves as a UK representative and competes in The Great Race event alongside his cousins, Gordon and Flying Scotsman. He came second, narrowly losing to Etienne.
Spencer is very arrogant and pompous and considers himself to be above doing menial duties such as shunting. None of the engines like him, especially Thomas and Gordon. When he came to build the summer house, Spencer proved himself to be very nosey, sneaky, disobedient and rather neglectful. Despite being closely related, Gordon and Spencer have never gotten on very well with each other. This is mainly because of his pompous behaviour, which exceeds even that of Gordon's. Although he has shown a kind side when he realises his mistakes. This side once came through when he helped Percy find his way home to Tidmouth Sheds.
Spencer is an LNER Class A4 pacific. Mallard is also a member of this class.
Spencer was painted blue-grey with black lining. From the tenth season onwards, he was painted metallic silver.
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Glenn Wrage (US; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Leonardo García (Latin America; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- On the Steamies vs. Diesels DVD, Spencer is called a diesel. This is because in the game, Spencer says he does not have a whistle, but an electric horn instead. However, his picture clearly shows him having a whistle.
- One of Spencer's models used to be on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- Spencer's television series model was based on an A4 Pacific, however it was slightly modified. The smoke box was much less angled then it should have been due to the eye mechanism inside. This trait was carried on into the CGI switchover.
- In late 2013, Spencer's Take-and-Play model was referenced in the BBC television programme "Have I Got News For You" being described as "A train that looks like David Cameron".
- Spencer's Hornby model incorrectly features him with black wheels. All other merchandise models have him with correct silver wheels.
- Spencer has been through several changes through the series. These include:
- Season 8:
- Spencer's bronze buffers changed to silver ones.
- Season 10:
- His blue-grey livery changed to metallic silver.
- Season 19:
- He gained two LNER headlamps and a tail lamp.
- Season 8:
- "Next to him we have Spencer. And just listen to those local crowds go wild!"
- "Ha, ha, ha! No, no! Thank you! Ha, ha, ha!
- "He"s certainly well known on the Mainland and a former world record holder in his own right"
- The Great Race Announcer about Spencer, The Great Race.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (several versions)
- Take Along (discontinued normal and metallic)
- Take-n-Play (normal and talking)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued outside Asia)
- TrackMaster (normal, coal moustache, and talking version)
- My First Thomas (talking)
- Hornby (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Limited Edition Collection
- Wind-up Trains
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- LEGO (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Push Along
- Padlock and Key
- Micro Rubber Engines
- Pico Pico
- Boss (with blue express coach and pull-back; discontinued)
- Minis (classic, racers, old school, electrified and DC super friends)
|Diesel • British Railways|
|Spencer • Hiro • Hiro's Friends • Connor • Caitlin • Stephen's Competitors • The Mainland Engines • Gator • Samson|
|Logan • Sam|
|Ashima • Rajiv • Yong Bao • Vinnie • Carlos • Raul • Shane • Etienne • Frieda • Gina • Axel • Ivan|
|Theo • Lexi • Merlin • Hurricane • Frankie|
|Spencer's Special Coaches • Connor's Coaches • Caitlin's Coaches • Bradford|