There are many different types of tankers (also referred to as wagons or simply trucks) on the Island of Sodor and other railways used to carry various kinds of liquids. They usually have had very little influence in stories.
The fuel tankers are painted yellow with pictures of fire in red diamonds and "SODOR FUEL" in black on both sides. They are used to transport fuel. In the thirteenth season, the words "Sodor Fuel" were removed and a red gas can has taken their place.
- Fuel has also been transported in black tankers, and yellow tankers without any labels.
- The title "Sodor Fuel" is an in-joke. Apparently it was supposed to sound like "Sod off, you all."
- One fuel tanker model used to be on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
The oil tankers are painted black with "OIL" in white on the side. There are also a number of older, dirtier oil tankers that can be seen around Sodor. The utmost care must be taken with these in case of fire, as James once found out when his tankers caught fire.
- A model of an oil tanker is currently on display at Hara Model Railway Museum in Japan.
- Up until Hero of the Rails, the oil tankers just said "OIL" but this was changed to an oil rig with oil coming out of it on a golden circle.
The Milk Tankers are painted white with "TIDMOUTH MILK" in blue on the sides. They are used to carry milk from local farms to the dairy at Elsbridge. Toby collects one from the dairy each morning on his way to Anopha with the quarrymen, and leaves it at Ffarquhar to be loaded. After being loaded, the van is coupled behind Clarabel and taken to the dairy on Thomas' first train. While Thomas was away having his front mended, a Diesel railcar named Daisy was brought to do his work. Daisy, who was then a lazy sort, did mind, and refused to pull the van, and so much to their annoyance Toby and Percy had to make special trips to deliver the milk. However, now that Daisy has learnt sense, she sometimes takes the milk instead of Thomas.
From Misty Island Rescue onwards, the words "TIDMOUTH MILK" have been replaced by a logo of a cow in a blue circle.
- Three milk wagons are currently on display at Drayton Manor.
- In the first and second seasons, due to budget limitations the milk tankers were painted half white and half black, the black side being used for oil and tar tankers.
These wagons are painted cream with milk churns pictured on the sides. The models are currently on display at Drayton Manor. It first appeared in the eighth season episode, Too Hot for Thomas .
These wagons carry water and are painted sky blue. They first appeared in the nineteenth season episode, Toad and the Whale.